Twila’s practice focuses on advising clients on the formation and financing (seed capital, venture capital and public offerings) of corporations, limited partnerships and limited liability companies. Her specialties include securities law compliance and preparation of Securities Exchange Act reports and statements for publicly traded companies. Twila also has extensive experience in mergers and acquisitions and provides a variety of clients with general business advice.
Twila has represented corporate clients recently as they have grown their businesses through strategic acquisitions. Twila has also recently represented venture capital backed companies in the sale of their companies to publicly traded buyers in consideration of the issuance of stock of the buyer. She has also represented start-up companies in recent financings, including investments by venture capitalists and corporate partners.
Twila helped organize three California Forums on Small Business Capital Formation, which were modeled after the successful Securities and Exchange Commission’s annual forums on Small Business Capital Formation.
Twila is a frequent panelist at programs sponsored by the Business Law Section of the California State Bar on recent developments in California corporate law and drafting and negotiating business agreements. Twila, through her State Bar Business Law Section activities, has also been involved in the drafting of many of the recent changes to the California Corporations Code.
- Harvard Law School, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1980
- University of California, Berkeley, 1977
Honors: Degree awarded with great distinction
Honors: , Phi Beta Kappa, Regents Scholar
Major: Political Science
- Paralegal Programs, Teacher, St. Mary’s College Paralegal Program, John F. Kennedy University, 2004 – 2006
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- California State Bar, 1980 – Present
- Executive Committee of Business Law Section of State Bar of California
Chair (2000-2001), Vice-Chair (1999-2000), Advisor (2001-2005)
- State Bar of California Business Law Section Opinions Committee, 2001 – Present
- Partnerships and Limited Liability Companies Committee of Business Law Section of State Bar of California
Member (1993-1997), Chair (1996-1997)
- Corporations Committee of Business Law Section of State Bar of California (1990-1993), 1990 – 1993
Past Employment Positions:
- Yorkshire Ventures LLC, General Counsel for a strategic consulting company, 2004 – 2007
- Reed Smith LLP, Partner, Corporate & Securities Group, 2003 – 2004
- Crosby, Heafey, Roach & May, Director, Corporate Group, 1999 – 2002
- Jackson, Tufts, Cole & Black, LLP, Partner, 1980 – 1999